The 1.5 °C climate change mitigation scenarios show a significant demand for negative emission technologies and practices (NETPs). Going beyond the perspectives of climate physics and climate economics which currently provide the basis for climate scenario modelling, NEGEM will evaluate the real-word potential of deploying NETPs responsibly at scale.
The multi-disciplinary approach of NEGEM is based on crosscutting and integrated analyses of technical, environmental, social and economic aspects, to provide an informed assessment of the impact, acceptability and feasibility of NETPs, within planetary boundaries.
The assessment will be used to outline concrete pathways, including NETPs deployment under specific conditions and with appropriate governance structures. This helps to draw a medium-to-long-term vision supporting EU efforts to achieve the Paris Agreement targets, in the context of the Sustainable Development Goals. NEGEM will dedicate specific efforts to reaching out key stakeholders, in particular policymakers at national and EU levels.
- Project title: “Quantifying and Deploying Responsible Negative Emissions in Climate Resilient Pathways”
- Funding scheme: European Union Horizon 2020 Programme (EU H2020, Grant agreement ID: 869192)
- Duration: 4 years (1 June 2020 – 30 May 2024)
- Project coordinator: VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland Ltd (Dr. Kati Koponen)
- Project website: https://www.negemproject.eu/