COP21 RIPPLES project
The COP21 outcome represents an important new strategic context for EU climate policy. Analysing the implications of this new context requires an interdisciplinary approach, combining analysis of the evolution of the international climate regime as well as of NDCs and their socio-economic implications. Such analysis is also urgent, given the timelines imposed by the Paris Agreement for a “facilitative dialogue” in 2018 with a view to creating the conditions for the revision of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) in 2020. In order to address the context described above, this project has four objectives:
- Assess the adequacy of the NDCs submitted at COP21 in light of the global temperature target of limiting warming to 2°C/1.5°C.
- Assess the implications of NDCs and deeper mitigation pathways on other European socio-economic objectives.
- Assess the adequacy of the outcomes of COP21, and the implications and opportunities emerging from ongoing UNFCCC negotiations.
- Policy recommendations for EU climate policy and climate diplomacy.
- Project title: “COP21: Results and Implications for Pathways and Policies for Low Emissions European Societies” (COP21 RIPPLES)
- Funding scheme: European Union Horizon 2020 Programme (EU H2020, grant agreement no. 730427)
- Duration: 3 years (1 December 2016 – 30 November 2019)
- Project coordinator: IDDRI, Paris, France
- Project website: www.cop21ripples.eu