The overall vision of the Energy Citizens for Inclusive Decarbonization (ENCLUDE) is to help the EU to fulfill its promise of a just and inclusive decarbonization pathway through sharing and co-creating new knowledge and practices that maximize the number and diversity of citizens who are willing and able to contribute to the energy transition.
Motivated by achieving an equitable and sustainable future and the fulfillment of individual potential, ENCLUDE will contribute to the upcoming transformation of energy use by:
- Operationalizing the energy citizenship concept at all scales of policy making for decarbonization.
- Assembling, aligning and adapting disparate energy citizenship concepts for diverse communities of citizens and for different scales of policy making, lowering the barrier for action.
- Catalyzing a chain reaction of decarbonization actions across the EU.
ENCLUDE is dedicated not only to the co-creation of new knowledge with stakeholders about the emergence and consolidation of energy citizenship, but also to the uptake of this knowledge to mobilize action for decarbonization, taking into account the interests and struggles of diverse citizen groups, including communities, who are not usually invited or expected to participate in these civic processes.
ENCLUDE does this by integrating public engagement throughout the project life cycle rather than at the end of the project for dissemination and communication purposes only. The process between knowledge production and implementation includes learning feedback loops between research partners, public authorities, civic organizations and citizens.
- Project title: Energy Citizens for Inclusive Decarbonization (ENCLUDE)
- Funding scheme: European Union Horizon 2020 Programme (EU H2020, Grant agreement Nr: 101022791)
- Duration: 3 years (1 June 2021 – 31 May 2024)
- Project coordinator: ETH Zürich
- Project website: coming soon