CONSTRAIN is an €8 million, 4-year Horizon 2020 programme focusing on developing a better understanding of global and regional climate projections for the next 20-50 years, and defining emissions pathways to limit warming. This requires a better understanding of how several human and natural factors will affect the climate in coming decades, such as how atmospheric aerosols influence the Earth’s radiation budget, and the roles of clouds and oceans in driving climate change.
In doing so, CONSTRAIN is taking full advantage of results from the sixth Coupled Model Intercomparison Project (CMIP6), as well as other Horizon 2020 and European Research Council projects. It is also translating this new scientific understanding into an improved evidence base aimed at informing international climate policy and supporting decisions on climate mitigation and adaptation.
- Project title: “Constraining uncertainty of multi decadal climate projections” (CONSTRAIN)
- Funding scheme: Horizon 2020 (Grant agreement no. 820829)
- Duration: 4 years (1 July 2019 – 30 June 2023)
- Project coordinator: University of Leeds
- Project website: https://constrain-eu.org/