CASCADES identifies how the risks of climate change to countries, economies and peoples beyond Europe might cascade into Europe, potentially affecting European stability and cohesion. It does so via a broad 360° risk assessment and deeper thematic analyses of trade, value chain, financial and political connections between Europe and the rest of the world.
CASCADES integrates a wide range of established and innovative methodologies ranging from biophysical climate impact modelling, economic modelling of trade and financial networks, and data integration methods, to qualitative approaches including hotspot case study analysis original social science research and serious games.
CASCADES will provide knowledge and tools to support policy and decision-making processes, thus helping Europe to strategically navigate a sustainable and resilient path through a rapidly changing, interconnected world.
- Project title: Cascading climate risks: Towards adaptive and resilient European Societies (CASCADES)
- Funding scheme: European Union Horizon 2020 Programme (EU H2020, Grant agreement Nr: 821010)
- Duration: 4 years (1 September 2019 – 31 August 2023)
- Project coordinator: Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK)
- Project website: www.cascades.eu